Wednesday, May 24, 2006

From Samer's Sister, Sama



I loved planning Samer's wedding with him. We'd talk for two hours each night for months, laboring over details, dreaming about things we could never accomplish...basically being so excited about love and family. Samer was my little brother, born four years after me and I was terribly jealous when he was born (stealing my baby spot). But I remember the very first moment I saw him (my mother made me wash my hands) and I creeped over the side of the crib to look at him. I taught him how to read, tie his shoes, count to ten, about Duran Duran. He taught me about much more important things as we grew up...he loved being an Arab as much as I did. He claimed Palestine as much as I did. He loved Allah and Fairuz, photography, family, memories...we shared a room when we were children, in Iraq and in Iowa. He was wonderful with my son Mahmood. I'm sad they won't know their uncle Samer. I will miss him forever...

No comments: